Whether you’re 10, 5 or even 1 or 2 years from retirement, you have plenty of options to help make the most of your super. The key is to start as soon as possible.
Retirement is on the horizon, so any action you can take now will get you closer to your ideal financial position. Here are some tips to help get you thinking, depending on how far away retirement might be for you:
- Considering retiring in 10 years? Start planning now – whether you’re ten years out from the official retirement age, or simply considering retiring early, it’s a good idea to start planning your retirement now and help boost your super along the way.
- 5 years to retirement? Get the wheels in motion – if you’re planning to retire in five years there are plenty of things you can do right now to help achieve your financial freedom once you stop working, such as talking to a financial adviser.
- 1 or 2 years to retirement? Finalise your plan – your retirement is on the horizon so now is the time to start working out how much income you’ll have, when you’ll stop working and how you’ll manage your income.
Tips on what can you do now
First things first: know your super!
- Understand the information in your account statements and your investment option(s).
- Check your insurance cover and beneficiaries.
- Track down and consider consolidating any other super.
- Consider tipping in some extra contributions to give your super a boost.
These are all important steps, along with setting your retirement goals and getting the right advice to help put your plans into action, placing you in a better position to maximise your super in the long term.